Caregiver Support and Education
Caregiver Support and Education Team
Our comprehensive social work program provides practical support to caregivers coping with Alzheimer’s diseases and related disorders. In supporting the family caregivers we are providing education about the disease, coping techniques for the caregivers and providing therapeutic counselling. The Alzheimer Society of York Region’s social workers play an integral role in assisting families in navigating throughout the course of the disease. The social work program provides families and individuals coping with Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders with a holistic approach to looking at their issues.
The social worker assists families and individuals throughout their journey with the disease. The social workers help the client to navigate the system to access diagnostic and medical supports, access community services as required, access CCAC assistance and other supports as required (ex. hospice support, private home health care, live in supports, financial and legal supports etc.). This specialized service navigation role is a fundamental aspect of the services we have provided in the Region of York for over 20 years.
- To provide support, education and resource information to families and individuals coping with Alzheimer's disease or related disorders in York Region.
- To assist families and individuals navigate through the disease process.
- Confidential counselling and support
- Professional registered social workers
- Knowledgeable about Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders
- Knowledgeable about caregiving issues
- Knowledgeable about community supports
- Flexible hours – Monday through Saturday
- Service provided by phone, email, home, office, or community visits
- Service also available in Italian and Cantonese
- Disease specific supportive counseling
- Coping Mechanisms
- Stress and Behaviour Management
- Problem solving
- Crisis Intervention
- Case Management
- Needs assessment
- Assessment for cognitively specific day programs (Alzheimer Society D.A.Y. programs at Thornhill and Newmarket, Region of York at Maple Health Centre and Keswick Gardens, and York Central Hospital)
- Referrals to community services
- Support provided throughout the course of the dementia journey
There are no fees for the Social Work Program offered by the Alzheimer Society of York Region.