Thank you to Investors Group, this year's Honorary Chair for the York Region Coffee Break Campaign. Our goal this year is to raise more than $30,000 so sign up and help us raise funds and awareness for our programs and services.
Thank you to all of our hosts!
Joanne, Alzheimer Society of York Region and Brad, Sam, Ali, Bulk Barn Aurora
presenting a cheque for $1,500
Martha, Sara, Lora, Beth, Bulk Barn Keswick & Lynn, Alzheimer Society of York Region
presenting a cheque for $1,000
Lynn, Alzheimer Society of York Region and Leah, Gale, Christine Bulk Barn Newmarket
presenting a cheque for $1,501
What is Coffee Break?
Coffee Break™ is a nationwide annual fundraising event that raises money to support the work of Alzheimer Societies across Canada. All funds raised are used to help fund local programs and services for people with Alzheimer's disease, their caregivers and their families.
What is Alzheimer's Disease?Alzheimer's Disease is a progressive, degenerative, and irreversible disease.
Progressive - increasing. The amount of damage done by the disease increases over time.
Degenerative - breaking down. The nerve cells in the brain degenerate or break down.
Irreversible - no known cure. Damage done to the brain cells cannot be repaired.
Alzheimer's Disease causes gradual breakdown in the nerve cells of the brain. The brain changes and no longer works the way it used to. As a result, people with Alzheimer's Disease become less and less able to make sense of information from the outside world and to send messages to their bodies. People with Alzheimer's Disease become unable to think, remember, understand, and make decisions as before. They will have trouble with everyday activities such as getting dressed, cooking a meal, or washing the car. Eventually, they become unable to look after themselves and will develop other illnesses such as pneumonia, which will cause death.
How Do I Help?
Host a Coffee Break!
Organize a Coffee Break at your home or office and invite co-workers, friends and family to take part and help raise funds online!
No time to host a traditional Coffee Break - you can still help raise funds! Create an online Coffee Break personal fundraising page (see details on left) and while co-workers, friends, and family are enjoying a cup of coffee, they can support Alzheimer Society and make an online donation through your Coffee Break page.
Steps to a Successful Coffee Break
- Check contents of your kit to make sure you have everything you need
- Secure a location and set a time for your Coffee Break
- Make sure you have coffee, sugar, cream, cups, napkins and other supplies necessary. You might want to include baked goods or pastries as an added touch to your event.
- Of course, you may have decided to have something other than an actual coffee break and that is great. Your needs will obviously be different
How to promote your Coffee Break
- Place the event posters in a prominent area at least one week prior to your event, or
- Personally invite your friends, neighbours or other participants at least two weeks prior
- Advertise in your company newsletter, church bulletins, community newspapers or send an email to as many people as you can.
- Display all the promotional material (brochures, banner, coin box if using, receipt form) and additional decorations at your event site
- Encourage participants to enjoy a cup of coffee and make a donation. The Alzheimer Society will issue tax receipts for individual donations over $10.00
- Try to determine the number of participants at your Coffee Break for future reference. Place a guest book or sign in sheet at your location
After your Coffee Break
- Complete the Host Report Sheet
- Return the Host Report Sheet, Donation Required Sheet and Cheque covering the total donations to Alzheimer Society York Region, 800 Davis Drive, Unit 6, Newmarket, Ontario L3Y 2R5 Attention: Elaine Ross, Event Coordinator
- If you prefer you can call Elaine at 905-895-1337 or 1-888-414-5550 ext 22 to make arrangements to have the reports and money picked up.